A reclining lift chair is perfect for people who have difficulty standing up from a seated position. These comfortable chairs offer all of the benefits of a traditional reclining, with the convenience and ease of being able to stand up on your own. The best reclining lift chair will give you the independence to sit and stand when you want to, with style and comfort. There are several models to choose from, and with a few helpful tips you can easily find the right one for your comfort and independence.
Questions to Consider
Before you begin your search for a reclining lift chair there are a few questions you should consider.
- How many reclining positions do you need?
- What size chair do you need? (This is determined by your weight and height)
- Do you need additional features?
- What style and color should the reclining lift chair be to match your existing décor?
Tips for Buying a Reclining Lift Chair
One of the first things you will want to consider are the number of reclining positions that you will need. Two position lift chairs are designed to let you relax while watching television, and will raise the footrest when it is pushed back. Three position lift chairs will recline all the way back, while infinite position lift chairs will raise and recline straight down to give you a comfortable and supportive surface for napping.
After you have decided on the number of reclining positions, you will want to choose a chair that is large enough to be comfortable and supportive. Reclining lift chairs are available in several sizes that are clearly labeled for safety.
- Petite or Small: The backrest only reclines slightly back, though the footrest does elevate. It is ideal for smaller areas and watching TV.
- Medium: height of 5’4″ to 5’10” with a weight limit of 375lb.
- Large: height of 5’11” to 6’2″ with a maximum weight of 375lb.
- Tall: height 6’2″ to 6’8″ with a maximum weight limit of 375lb.
- Wide or XL: These reclining lift chairs are available in petite wide versions and can support up to 500lb of weight, and have a seat that measures 2″ to 4″ wider than standard size models.
- Heavy Duty or XXL: Able to support between 600 and 700lbs and feature a seat that is wider than 4 inches, these reclining lift chairs may need to be specially ordered ahead of time.
All reclining lift chairs are designed to make it easier for you to stand up from a sitting position, but there are other features available that you might want to consider. Some of these can include:
- Settings for heat and massage
- Convenient hand held remote control
- Control buttons located on either the left or right side of the chair
- Storage pockets on the sides of the chair for holding magazines and keeping track of remote controls.
- Extra support for your neck and lower back
- Cup holders and removable snack trays.
Once you have decided on the size and additional features, all you have to do is find a reclining lift chair that is designed to fit your room’s décor. With hundreds of styles and colors to choose from, along with the ability to choose your own upholstery, finding the best reclining lift chair doesn’t have to be hard.